Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Visits to Chongqing Zoo and Walmart

Well...last night we had our first meltdown. Amelia woke around 11:00 screaming and crying. I picked her up and walked around the room until she calmed down and was asleep. The minute I tried to put her in the crib she clung to me and started crying again. So, I did it. I put her in bed between us. She continued to hold onto me but fell asleep after a few minutes. She slept with either her head or her hand touching me all night. Most people who really know me know that I can't sleep if someone is touching me, so I had another sleepless night. It was worth it this morning when Amelia woke up, looked at me and had the biggest grin on her face. She then turned and looked at David and gave him a big smile, too. It was really cute, but we are not making a habit of it. She is at this moment taking a nap in the crib. She didn't want to start out there awake, so I walked her around the room until she fell asleep in my arms. She woke up when I put her in the crib, but I rubbed her stomach until she fell asleep.

Today, we went to the Chongqing zoo. We were able to see the panda bears eating breakfast. The panda bears are very important to the Chinese people, and this zoo is very proud that they have eight of them on exhibit. It was a very rainy and chilly day, but we toured a couple of different areas of the zoo. We saw the pandas, tigers, monkeys, birds, rabbits, llamas, raccoons, and a few others. Amelia was a trooper. She doesn't love the ergo and was tired of being in it for so long. This is a government owned zoo and was a nice place to visit. They also had a squatty potty! David ran into the restroom to take a picture because I was NOT going to take Amelia near one. May told us if we needed use the "washroom" she kept toilet paper in her bag. We declined except for the photo opportunity.

After touring the zoo, we went to Walmart. It is MUCH different than our Walmart at home. We had to purchase formula in the liquor section before completing the remainder of our shopping. I am sad to say there were no Gerber puffs. I think someone should call Gerber and tell them to expand to China. We found some teething biscuits and some rice cakes that May suggested we try. We also a bought some local candy that she recommended. This Walmart had some very interesting selections. You can get every part of an animal in the dried meat section. In the fruit and vegetable section, you have to take your items to a weighing station for the employees to weigh and bag your selection. Then, you can go to the checkout section.

We are now back at the hotel for the remainder of the day unless we decide to go out somewhere. Amelia is taking a nap, and I am about to join her. May will check on the notary of paperwork this afternoon and will pick us up at 10:20 tomorrow morning to go to the local museum. She wants us to learn more about Chongqing culture. So far, we have not seen anywhere to souvenir shop. The zoo did not have a shop, so we are hoping the museum will have something. We really wanted to purchase some things for Amelia as she grows up and bring home a few things for us as well. We will come back to the hotel at noon for a nap and then leave for the orphanage at 2:00. I am looking forward to seeing where Amelia has spent the her life, but I am worried about how she will react to saying goodbye to the only home she has known.

Here are pictures from our day.

























No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com