Thursday, August 1, 2013

Amelia's First Day of School

It has been a very emotional day for me.  Amelia started school.  I can hardly believe that I am writing this.  She seems too little, and it seems like she hasn't been with us long enough for this day to have arrived.  The director of God's House, Susan, and I spoke in March about the best plan for Amelia.  March.  It is now August 1st and this is the date we planned for Amelia to begin.  How can time go by so fast?  We have made several visits to God's House and discussed school with her all week. 

This morning after breakfast, we got into the car and drove to school.  I teared up a few times thinking about this being the first time that I have left her with people she is not very familiar with.  I have never even let her go to the nursery at church by herself.  I have always gone with her.  I worried that it would seem like a very happy orphanage setting with all of the children running around and that she would think I was leaving her and not coming back.  David met us at school to experience this first day and to give me emotional support.  Amelia seemed happy to be there but stuck close to us.  Her teacher, Ms. Anya came to greet her and take her to meet her new friends.  I chatted with the secretary (and got her cell phone number so I could text her), and we walked out the door.  We actually left her.  I sat in the car and cried with David telling me she had to start school sometime so this isn't a big deal. 

I managed to only text one time to check on Amelia.  I told Diane I wanted to check on Amelia and wanted to know if she had cried.  Her response was that there had been no tears, and she was painting.  I felt some relief.  It was nice to be able to run some errands (I stayed close to the school just in case I had to go pick her up early), but it felt very strange not to have to get Amelia out of the back seat (or even have her in the back seat).  After running some errands and visiting my friend, Sue, for lunch, I went back to the school to pick up Amelia.  She was sitting in the office (I requested that she not take a nap after they had lunch) waiting for me.  Her face lit up when she saw me, and she screamed, "Mama!".  It was wonderful to hear.  She ran into my arms and wanted to be held.  The director of the school and her teacher were full of praise for Amelia.  They said that she followed directions, minded the teacher, and was a joy to be around.  I am sure they were reassuring me, but it was nice to hear that everyone survived.  I was so glad to see my precious girl!  I hope that she's excited to go back tomorrow. :)


In the car headed to school...


Headed to the door

Brief stop to show that they have a slide

She REALLY wants to go on the slide









Chatting with Ms. Diane

Ms. Anya

She decided to take her shoes off in school, but we told her that wasn't allowed.

Watching the children with Ms. Susan

Ready to head to the classroom with Ms. Anya.


First Day Family Photo

Meeting all of the children in her class


Ms. Anya carried her to the classroom

Last glimpse before she headed to the room, and we walked out the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com